Students give pizza driver $1,200 tip Domino's pizza delivery driver James Gilpin (AP photos)
Students give pizza driver $1,200 tip

A pizza delivery driver in Marion, Indiana, was shocked to receive a $1,268 tip. It happened in front of thousands of Indiana Wesleyan University students.

Keith Newman, Indiana Wesleyan's CEO of Residential Education, was speaking to about 3,000 students at the IWU Chape last week. He wanted to illustrate a point.

"Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone.

So Newman ordered two pizzas from Domino's Pizza. The cost was $12.50.

When delivery driver James Gilpin arrived, he was escorted into the main hall and onto the stage. There he was met by thousands of students.

He was then presented with the $1,268 tip. Students also gave him inspirational notes they had written.

Gilpin said the surprise took a while to sink in. He plans to use the money to help with Christmas. He has two children. He said he was also already drawing inspiration from the students' notes.

• Tara1119
    10/21/2014 - 05:59 p.m.

I think it's amazing that just from one speech, all the students of IWU Chape got together and made inspirational littlle notes and one thousand-two-hundred dollars! Just one sentence. "Do for one what you would want done for yourself". Can you imagine the pizza delivery guy. He must of been so greatful. All the students would have been equally greatful if someone did that for them.

• John0724-YYCA
    10/21/2014 - 07:28 p.m.

That is sweet but crazy because usually my dad or mom gives five or twenty dollars for tip but 1,268 dollars is too much. At least the pizza delivery guy James Giplin should have the best Christmas day in the whole life with the moneys and the kids. Right now if I had that much money I would be the happiest boy in the whole universe and make my family proud.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/21/2014 - 08:33 p.m.

This is amazing, a pizza delivery guy named James Gilpin got $1,268 tip from the students. I wish I got that much money because I could buy my mother all the things we need in at our house, for example kitchen appliances. I think it is very amazing to have $1,268 as tip because you can buy anything you need. I don't agree that a students can give out $1,268 as tip to a pizza delivery guy, maybe they are very thankful to the pizza delivery guy for delivering pizza to them. I learned that a pizza delivery guy was given $1,268. I am amazed because a pizza delivery guy was given $1,268. I'd really want $1,268 to give to my mother and use it to buy things for our life.

• Dra
    10/22/2014 - 11:27 a.m.

I think that was sweet that. the students wrote notes to him and that was also really sweet that they gave him a $1,268 tip.

• Sec20614
    10/22/2014 - 11:27 a.m.

I think that is so cool . If that was me I would be so happy!

• 21edsode
    10/23/2014 - 12:36 p.m.

This is crazy that kids could give a guy 1,200 dollars to a guy. If I were him I would take a week off of work.

• JackS-4
    10/23/2014 - 08:07 p.m.

At Indiana Wesleyan University in Marion, and incredible gift of charity has been made. Pizza driver James Gilpin was delivering 2 pizzas when he was escorted to the main hall and presented with a $1,268 tip! The some 3,000 students gave inspirational letters which he said: "took a while to sink in". He said it would help for christmas with his 2 kids.

Usually a 20 dollar tip surprises waiters (or pizza delivery guy in this case). This lucky man got a whopping 1,268 dollars from about 3,000 university students, which wouldn't be bad for anybody to pocket.

• Lamira-Abd
    10/28/2014 - 08:38 a.m.

I think that was very nice of the kids to give that man all that money .I bet that man was so grateful and happy that he received that money and that man was so nice because he said he was going to use that money to help with christmas and instead of just being selfish he shared it.I think that was nice.

• katelST
    11/21/2014 - 09:52 a.m.

Wow! I can't imagine how he was feeling at that moment. That was very kind for what he did with the money.