She's first female in NBA, which had been boys only WNBA star Becky Hammon takes questions from the media at the San Antonio Spurs practice facility after being introduced as an assistant coach with the team (- AP photo)
She's first female in NBA, which had been boys only

A woman will become an assistant coach for a men's pro basketball team. And that's a big deal.

It's the first time a female will be a full-time assistant on an NBA coaching staff. The NBA is the National Basketball Association. The players all are men. As pros, they are paid to play for their teams.

Becky Hammon has been playing women's pro basketball. She no longer will play and will move to the staff of the San Antonio Spurs. She will work with head coach Gregg Popovich on scouting, game-planning and practice. The Spurs are the defending champs of the NBA.

"I'm up for challenges," Hammon said Tuesday.

Last season, Hammon attended Spurs practices and sat behind the bench at home games.

"People ask me all the time, will there ever be a woman player in the NBA?" Hammon said. "To be honest, no. The guys are too big, too strong and that's just the way it is.

"But when it comes to things of the mind, things like coaching . . . there's no reason why a woman couldn't be in the mix and shouldn't be in the mix."

• liamd-fra
    10/01/2015 - 03:30 p.m.

Hammon will make a big impact in the NBA. Gregg Popovich made a big decision.Stars will miss there all star.-Liam From Chicago.

• oliviaj-osb
      11/17/2015 - 03:18 p.m.

I like your swager and I like your post Isint it amazing that Greeg
      picked hammon to be in the NBA

love olivia

• oliviaj-osb
    11/17/2015 - 03:13 p.m.

I think this is awesome that a WOMEN is in the NBA and I cant belive they let her in . Now I want to be in the NBA so badly.

This is mind blowing.
    sssooo cool
    amazing

• landonb-osb
    11/18/2015 - 11:59 a.m.

I don't think that the girls should be separated from the men. It isn't fair for the girls basketball.

• mauryg-612-
    1/05/2016 - 01:19 p.m.

I think that was a great idea for Gregg Popovich and a huge opprotunity for Becky Hammon being the first ever female to ever be affilliated with the NBA period so its just an all around good idea.

• albrimz-obr
    3/03/2016 - 01:26 p.m.

I think that a woman is an assistant coach is really cool. I am a big NBA fan, and I know that Hammon will help the Spurs, because she has had experince for play in the WNBA (Womans National Basketball Associate). I also think that when Gregg Popovich retires Becky Hammon will take his spot. That is how Becky Hammon will effect the NBA.