She spent $35,000 searching for her lost dog Janet Mihalyfis 5-year-old dog, Havoc (AP photos)
She spent $35,000 searching for her lost dog

A woman has spent more than $35,000 to find her missing dog. The search has lasted more than a year.

Janet Mihalyfi, 39, lives in the Georgetown section of Washington. She has hired psychics and private investigators. She has posted thousands of fliers. She has installed cameras in the woods. And she has put out dog food at spots where her Rottweiler mix has reportedly been spotted.

Mihalyfi lost 5-year-old Havoc on Nov. 9, 2013. That was after she took him and her other dog off their leashes in a wooded area. Just then, a deer bolted by. Both dogs gave chase.

She hasn't seen Havoc since.

"Anybody that has a pet knows that they are a family member," Mihalyfi said. "I love him as I would anybody that I'm close with. I can't give up on him."

Mihalyfi is an information technology director at a Washington consulting firm. She said she has devoted every weekend to the search. She described it as exhausting and depressing.

Mihalyfi still hopes to find Havoc. The dog has an implanted identifying microchip. Mihalyfi is constantly boosted by tips from people. She estimates that about 30 to 40 percent of the tips have been accurate. She believes Havoc is spending his days in two wooded parks. But the parks are thousands of square miles large.

The dog owner also has received some criticism. Some feel she has spent too much money searching for the dog.

"I know people are in shock by the number," she said.

She said she can't imagine a better way to spend her money. After all, she wants to get a member of her family back.

• TiannaW_EA
    11/19/2014 - 10:07 a.m.

I hope you find your dog. I hope you feel better and all that money you spend is not worth it. You can put a little bit of money in every month or year or so. I think that will be good. I hope he has a safe place to go and get warm.

• AlanK_EA
    11/19/2014 - 10:09 a.m.

I hope she finds her dog. Put some dog food in front of the camera. Maybe then you will be able to see where he is at. hope that money was for nothing.

• Kylerw4
    11/19/2014 - 02:32 p.m.

wow that was so sweet I would pay $35,000 if I lost my dog no kiding I would #I like frinch fries#

• patrickf-Bla
    11/19/2014 - 10:45 p.m.

This article is called she spent $35,000 searching for her lost dog. A women spent $35,000 searching for her lost dog.(That is a lot of money.) She searched for her lost dog for a year. She lost her 5 year old dog on November 9th. That is my article. by:PATRICK

• cm2001KING
    11/20/2014 - 08:38 a.m.

She spend 35000 thousand dollars to find her dog. I would not do that. What I would do is post or hang photos place and who ever finds it I will reword them.

• JanaN-Saw
    11/20/2014 - 12:47 p.m.

She spent thousands of money to find her dog .my dogs have gone missing before .they just come back after a while.If they never come back my family and i go looking for my dogs .one of my dogs wait in front of our house when we are not there . I just cant believe she spent $35,000.

• justinmST
    11/21/2014 - 09:50 a.m.

I feel really bad for her because she lost one of her family members. I know what it feels like when you miss a dog that you loved forever. I had this dog that died when we tried to take it to the vet but we did not make it in time. everybody was crying we felt so bad for. We also buried it in it own grave in are yard.

• justinmST
    11/21/2014 - 09:53 a.m.

I feel really bad for her because she lost one of her family members. I know what it feels like when you miss a dog that you loved forever. I had this dog that died when we tried to take it to the vet but we did not make it in time. everybody was crying we felt so bad for her. We also buried it in it own grave in are yard.

• sarahr-Kin
    11/21/2014 - 10:52 a.m.

I would do the exact same thing. That's alittle to much for me.

• PJuan-Sti
    11/21/2014 - 11:34 a.m.

I don't know why she spend 35,000 dollars. If I was her I wouldn't spend 35000 because with that money could by like a lots of other dogs. But I understand that the dog is part of her family. But if I liked a dog a lot. Then I probable spend 35000 dollars because he is part of my family.