Schools favorite cookie banned from cafeteria (iStockPhoto)
Schools favorite cookie banned from cafeteria

A favorite, and locally famous, cafeteria treat is off the menu forever in one northeast Ohio school system. That's because of new nutritional guidelines.

The government wants schools to provide healthier foods. Cutting fats and cholesterol will put an end to the sale of the Elyria pink cookie. It's a buttery sweet treat with pink icing that has been a favorite of city school kids for four decades.

The cookie was developed by a former district food services director. She used her grandmother's recipe. The cookie was once named the "Best Cafeteria Cookie" by Cleveland magazine, according to The (Elyria) Chronicle-Telegram.

Scott Teaman is food services director with Sodexo Inc., the district's contracted food provider. He said the federal guidelines for school snacks are strict. The pink cookie just can't make the cut, he said.

"There is only one way to do the pink cookie. And to do it any other way would not do it justice," Teaman said.

The pink cookies will not disappear completely. Teaman said district bakers will take special orders at $5 a dozen. They can be eaten at home.

• dgkallday3V2
    9/05/2014 - 12:36 p.m.

WHY would thay banned this from a School.Common that's mean people love them.You cant band something alot of people love.Its like taking candy from a baby.That's guest mean man.People all around the world love this Cookie.Wut if i take your fave cookie and banned it.So i hope you dont Oreo

• smoovemove27
    9/05/2014 - 12:49 p.m.

If any cookie at my school got banned i would be mad because i love cookies and i would bring my own cookie to school if that really happen.Even if it was those kind of cookie.I would just tell my mom to go buy cookies.I wish i had some cookies right now because im hungry right now and i would agree with the goverment to be healthy.I really think everybody shoud eat healty and stop eating candy.

• AliannaR-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 01:47 p.m.

Those are my favorite cookies .They are creamy and dreamy!!!!!!I love, how about you?

• JuliannaS-Saw
      9/05/2014 - 02:09 p.m.

You are so right they are very good and sweet

• CharlotteR-Saw
      9/05/2014 - 02:23 p.m.

I would eat a boxful if I could!!!!!!! Wouldn't you?!

• AleaT-Wal
      10/16/2014 - 02:36 p.m.

ya me to i <3 this cookie it is one of my favorites i also like the kellogs pastrey treats they are also yummy

• ArelyO-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 01:53 p.m.

I like the cookie its yummy and sweet like candy

• JuliannaS-Saw
      9/05/2014 - 02:06 p.m.

It is very good and yummy like candy i agree with you

• AleaT-Wal
      10/16/2014 - 02:32 p.m.

I know right this is so crazy that they have to be banned it from schools

• TomI-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 01:53 p.m.

looks good I would totally get that but not eat it to much I don't like to eat candy too much and its good that
    its banned from cafiteria