With a red cup, she becomes Miss America Miss America 2014 Nina Davuluri, top, crowns Miss New York Kira Kazantsev as Miss America 2015 (AP photos)
With a red cup, she becomes Miss America

Miss New York, Kira Kazantsev, won the Miss America pageant Sunday night. She did it with the help of a plastic cup.

For her talent performance, Kazantsev sang Pharrell Williams' "Happy." She sat cross-legged on the stage and banged a red cup on the floor.

Kazantsev said she was inspired by the 2012 movie "Pitch Perfect." Anna Kendrick's character auditions for a group by performing with a cup. Kazantsev said she did it to show future contestants they, too, can win the Miss America pageant.

"You can do whatever talent you want on national television even with a red cup and still be Miss America," Kazantsev said. "I literally in that minute and 30 seconds had the most fun I've ever had. And that's because I stayed true to myself. I'm very happy about it."

Kazantsev won a $50,000 college scholarship. During her yearlong term as Miss America, Kazantsev will travel about 20,000 miles a month.

The first runner-up was Miss Virginia, Courtney Paige Garrett. Other top 5 finalists were Miss Arkansas, Ashton Jo Campbell; Miss Florida, Victoria Cowen; and Miss Massachusetts, Lauren Kuhn.

Miss North Dakota, Jacky Arness, was chosen as Miss Congeniality.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/16/2014 - 08:51 p.m.

That is an amazing thing that happened to choose Miss New York. I think it was very weird that Miss New York used a red plastic cup to win and be Miss New York. I don't agree because Miss New York can't be chosen with a red plastic cup she owns. I am amazed because a woman with a red plastic cup had been chosen to be Miss New York. This a really amazing article about Kazantsev as Miss New York.

• georgiabST11
    9/17/2014 - 09:51 a.m.

I know that all the people around me know the cup song from pitch perfect and Anna didn't make up the cup song. She only made up the lyrics and I kind of feel bad for the person that made up the song with the cup.I don't really think it is that big of a deal that Kazantsev did the cup song to Happy by Pharrell Williams. But it was a very good article. I just don't like what the article is about.

• meganw-Bla
    9/18/2014 - 03:32 p.m.

I saw that on TV it was so cool because this was the third year miss New York has won

• meganw-Bla
    9/18/2014 - 03:43 p.m.

I think that is cool because i never knew that you could do the cups with different music and not mess up that's why i always do the cup song to the music.

• meganw-Bla
    9/18/2014 - 05:47 p.m.

That is so cool that miss New York has one three years in a row. She did it with cups i always do that with the song pitch perfect because i never thought you could do it with a different song and not get messed up. She sat crossleg on the stage and sang the song Happy.
    And lastly, because Kira Kazantsev won Miss America she got a 50,000 dollar collage scholarship.

Megan

• sarahkST
    9/22/2014 - 09:31 a.m.

I watched that on TV a couple nights ago. It was fun watching their talents like dancing, singing, and playing the piano! I have one question though, why did you decide to do an article on Miss New York? That was a great article!

• ellauST
    9/23/2014 - 09:36 a.m.

I think it ts amazing that she won with a red plastic cup. That is so cool. How did you get this story? I wish this would happen to me. I am now going to tell so many people about this story.

• katherinehST
    9/23/2014 - 09:38 a.m.

She is very pretty its cool that she got a $50,000 college scholarship for winning. She has to drive 20,000 miles a month. I looked on the news it said she kicked out of campus did she?

• Lamira-Abd
    10/01/2014 - 02:27 p.m.

I think that great because instead of girls have to express there self and do all that extra just to be
    miss america so I'm happy for her.

• isabellao-Bla
    10/26/2014 - 09:48 p.m.

Winning Miss America is not very hard, I think she is really cool because she gets to travel 20,000 miles a month. She didn't have to do anything fancy to win the pageant she won it doing what she likes and being herself. Anyone can try and be Miss America,