Record-breaking pumpkin weighs more than a car! John Hawkley poses on stage with his pumpkin at the 41st Annual Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-Off in Half Moon Bay, California (AP photos)
Record-breaking pumpkin weighs more than a car!

A gourd weighing 2,058 pounds set a tournament record at an annual pumpkin contest in Northern California.

John Hawkley, 56, grew the winning pumpkin. He entered it at the Safeway World Championship Pumpkin Weigh-off in Napa Valley.

Hawkley's pumpkin "squashed" his competition. It beat the second-place gourd by more than 300 pounds.

Hawkley is a production manager for a newspaper. He credited his success at least in part to warm weather. He ended up with a total of six pumpkins on a 4,500-square-foot patch of land in his front yard. One of the other pumpkins also weighed more than 2,000 pounds.

"My wife said this is as much pumpkin patch area as I'm going to get," he said.

Hawkley also said he will use the $13,000 in prize money to repair his home. It was damaged during an earthquake in August.

All 30 pumpkins weighed at this year's tournament were from California. That was according to tournament spokesman Tim Beeman. The contest is held in in Half Moon Bay, south of San Francisco. Normally it gets growers from Oregon and Washington as well.

Last year's winning pumpkin was also from the Napa Valley. It came in at 1,985 pounds.

• Dra
    10/20/2014 - 11:29 a.m.

Man I wish I could grow a pumpkin as big as he grown his. I also wish I could have all of that money

• Sec20614
    10/20/2014 - 11:31 a.m.

I wish I could have a pumpkin that big . I think he also spent the prize money wisely.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/21/2014 - 08:52 p.m.

It is very surprising to grow a 2,058 pound pumpkin. I would not enter the contest because it is all about winning to the farmers, but it is definitely not. I think it is all about having fun in the contest. I think it is very surprising to see a giant pumpkin in real life because I've only seen it in television shows. I agree that a pumpkin might grow large, but I also disagree because contests are not about winning it is about having fun. I learned that a person grew a large pumpkin before a pumpkin contest. I am amazed because a person won a pumpkin contest with a pumpkin that is 2,058 pounds.

• Aydan-L
    10/22/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

That pumpkin huge. And I wonder how it got so huge. Witch is odd. Because most pumpkins are not that big.

• Maggie-L
    10/22/2014 - 01:12 p.m.

SO COOL DUDE! SWEET SO COOL DUDE! SWEET COOL COOL

• Kylerw4
    10/30/2014 - 01:12 p.m.

• Kylerw4
    10/30/2014 - 01:19 p.m.

In the article record breaking pumpkin weighs more than a car-that article took my breath away I could not have done that who ever did that must be lucky to do that.:-0