Pigeon flies 5 miles to meet 5th grader at school Tara Atkins holds her pet pigeon, Foresta, in Helena, Montana
Pigeon flies 5 miles to meet 5th grader at school

A fifth-grader has one special bird.

She thought it was lost. Then it showed up at her school.

Tara Atkins lives in Montana. Her pet pigeon had disappeared Tuesday. One day later, it showed up at her school. That's about 5 miles away.

The bird caused a ruckus at Central-Linc Elementary. First it sat on a teacher's head.

Principal Vanessa Nasset said it was just "sky-bombing everyone."

Nasset then asked Tara for help. A parent remembered the girl had a pet pigeon.

Tara recognized Foresta by her distinct coloration.

"I was pretty happy," Tara said.

Another fifth-grader, Owen Cleary, finally caught the bird. He threw a blanket over it while it sat on his head.

Tara's mom said no one knows how the bird ended up at school.

"It is the most amazing thing," she said.

• bis14
    5/28/2014 - 12:16 p.m.

How cute! That was so cool. I wish that happened to me!

• jaycishoelover
    5/29/2014 - 12:53 p.m.

awwwwwww :-) that pigeon is soooooooo cute . i want 1.

• aalianu-Fie
    6/04/2014 - 02:47 p.m.

I would shoot the pigeon if it was at my school. it was good she got the pigeon bird it is bad to have pigeons in school

• Ashley0207-yyca
    6/30/2014 - 07:30 p.m.

I felt amazed because I didn't know how did the pigeon come to Tara's school!? Like Tara,maybe I should have a pigeon. I think my mom won't let me have a pigeon because it has a lot of germs.

• John0724-YYCA
    7/17/2014 - 01:12 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
    Would you really want to have a pigeon. If you read the article you should have known how the pigeon flew Tara's school. But isn't it obvious. Flying. Even though you did not read the article you should have known that. You were right about the pigeons having germs but some pigeons don't have germs. Also having to take care of a bird will be hard work.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    8/06/2014 - 02:29 p.m.

REBUTTAL
    I think that having you think that a pigeon is good is wrong. I think that a pigeon are very nasty and they are very crazy creatures. The pigeon came to Tara's school because it was Tara's friend and they needed each other everyday. Like you say every comment with my brother or build something with your brother. Everything is with your brother because you guys need each other and you guys need to be with each other.

• CassieS-Saw
    9/19/2014 - 04:45 p.m.

that is so cute the pigeon knows where his owner that pigeon is so smart

• rebeccanST
    9/23/2014 - 09:47 a.m.

I think it would be so cool to have a bird on my head! What would it be like to have a pet bird and then all of sudden it is at school?

• addyp-Bla
    10/13/2014 - 09:31 p.m.

The article is about a pigeon who flew 5 miles to fifth grader. A girl named Tara a pet pigeon , and thought it was lost. The day after the pigeon got lost it showed up at the girl's school. It caused a lot of trouble.She even landed on peoples heads. Finally another fifth grader caught the bird. Tara seemed like the happiest girl on the planet. She was that happy.thank you by by.

• Aydan-L
    10/15/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

I wonder how it got at school. Like how did it no it's way to school?