Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods At left, a young cougar is released back into Utah's mountains by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources in an undisclosed site in central Utah (- AP photo / ThinkStock)
Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods

A mountain lion was let back into the wild Monday. That was one day after it roamed into a Salt Lake City neighborhood. Dozens of families had to stay inside their homes for hours.

No people or pets were injured. But the hunt for the 2-year-old cougar caused quite a commotion. The neighborhood is just a few miles from the base of the Wasatch Mountains.

For some people, it's pretty scary. Other people get excited when a cougar visits town, said Scott Root. He is spokesman for the Division of Wildlife Resources.

The cat first was spotted at 3 p.m. Sunday. A Reverse 911 call then went out. It told people to stay inside. Officers searched backyards and talked to residents.

Three hours later, they still hadn't been able find the cat. Then a resident called. He had seen the animal on a neighbor's driveway. Officials used a dart to make the cat sleepy.

The mountain lion then was found sleeping in a front yard. The cat was released in central Utah, Root said. It was tagged so officials know if she comes back into the city.

In June, another mountain lion was captured. It was found a few miles from where this week's cat ended up. It had wandered into a shopping center. It was spotted near the entrance to a steakhouse. Nobody was hurt. But the sighting scared people arriving to work.

• SusanaCC-Wal
    9/25/2014 - 11:33 a.m.

Mountain lions are like lions but those are mountain lions.So I'm guessing that mountain lions live on the mountain that's why I don't like going on the mountain when i go some where there might be lions.

• ChloeN-Bla
    9/29/2014 - 10:31 a.m.

I read the article "Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhood". It was exciting to read that the cougar went into yards because they usually stay in the mountains. Before reading this article, I did not know why the cougar was roaming around. The Critical Thinking Question asked about why the cougar did not die when it was shot. I think it did not die because it was shot with a sleeping with a dart gun.

• TaylorC-Bla
    9/29/2014 - 10:32 a.m.

I read the article "Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods. It was interesting to read that article because you don't usually see cougars in your driveway. Before reading this article, I did not know that could happen. The Critical Thinking Question asked about why the cougar did not die when it was shot. I think it was good that the dart did not kill him/her because it was not his fault that he got out.

• ElizabethB-Bla
    9/29/2014 - 10:36 a.m.

I read the article "Officials Catch Cougars Roaming Utah Neighborhoods". It was shocking to read that there had already been two cougars loose and roaming in neighborhoods because I have never heard of cougars being loose before . Before reading this article, I did not know that they use a gun to make the cougars fall asleep . The Critical Thinking Question asked about why the cougar did not die when it was shot. I think they didn't die because they used sleep medicine and when it injects into them it makes them fall asleep so the animal control does not get bitten.

• VTI2005
    9/29/2014 - 12:05 p.m.

To many people wild animals are scary. Especially wild cats such as panthers, mountain lions, and leopards. Not me! I love all wild animals especially wild cats. I love leopards the most. In a book I was reading, a panther got killed! Even though it was for their own safety, why couldn't they use a tranquilizer for crying out loud! If you think I'm someone who would like to save animals, you can go ahead and say it! You're probably right!

• ChristinaL-Bla
    9/30/2014 - 01:27 p.m.

I read the article "Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods". It was scary to read that mountain lions would come to my house, and if I called 911 all they would say is to stay inside. I would still be unhappy because if you get out of your house the mountain lion might attack you. Before reading this article, I did not know which animal was in the picture at the top. The Critical Thinking Question asked about why the cougar did not die when it was shot. I think it did not die because it is strong and takes more than one shot depending on which gun you are using.

• IshmaelA-Bla
    9/30/2014 - 03:54 p.m.

I read the article "Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods ". It surprised me to read that the officials didn't find the cat after two hours. Before reading this article, I did not know that this article is about a mountain lion.

• AriannaW-Bla
    10/01/2014 - 12:18 p.m.

I read the article "Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods". It was interesting to read that a cougar was loose around a neighborhood and didn't injure any pets because I would expect it to hurt animals that are roaming around. Before reading this article, I did not know that a cougar was roaming around in a neighborhood. The Critical Thinking Question asked about why the cougar did not die when it was shot. I think that the cat didn't die because it wasn't shot with a bullet, it was shot with a dart.

• TrizeL-Bla
    10/02/2014 - 03:54 p.m.

I read the article "Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods". It was good to read that story because I don't hear about cougars around here. Before reading this article, I did not know that Utah had mountains. The Critical Thinking Question asked about why the cougar did not die when it was shot. I think who shot the cougar was using a sleeping dart.

• LeslieR-Bla
    10/02/2014 - 04:03 p.m.

I read the article "Officials catch cougar roaming Utah neighborhoods". It was interesting to read that the cougars were on the loose for 3 hours and the officials have not being able to see a cat. Before reading this article, I did not know that the mountain lions are in Utah. The Critical Thinking Question asked about why the cougar did not die when it was shot. I think that they are strong for being killed.