Mrs. Obama: Its OK to splurge A youngster gets a hug from first lady Michelle Obama after she read to a group of children during the annual White House Easter Egg Roll
Mrs. Obama: Its OK to splurge

Michelle Obama said "splurging is the key to life" if you regularly eat right and stay active. Her biggest guilty pleasure: French fries.

"How would you appreciate vegetables if you never had chocolate?" she asked. "You couldn't live without a little chocolate, a little French fries."

The first lady took questions from children after the White House Easter Egg Roll. She told the kids that if they eat right most of the time, then a splurge or snack is not going to hurt them.

"I still splurge when I can, but that's why I try to exercise almost every day," she said.

The first lady said she tries to teach her two daughters balance and healthy meals at home. This makes up for any ice cream or birthday cake they have while out.

Mrs. Obama said her favorite physical activity is tennis. She tries to play at least once a week. She said her daughter Malia participates in track and tennis. Sasha enjoys basketball and dance.

The kids she talked to ranged in age from 613 years old. She told them to eat balanced meals, drink water and keep moving.

"The more water you drink, the less room you'll have for the junk," she said.

More than 30,000 people visited the White House for the annual egg roll.

• ReeseLin
    4/24/2014 - 01:26 p.m.

Why is mis obama huging that happy child that is werd?

• Dadriiana1001
    4/24/2014 - 02:28 p.m.

It is good to do that it nothing wrong with splurge it's ok. She's ok to do that.

• montori0630
    4/24/2014 - 02:30 p.m.

it is okay to splurge. I don't see anything wrong with it. I wouldn't like vegetables either if I had never tasted or tried chocolate. I love chocolate but I love vegetables, too

• claudiamercadob1
    11/16/2014 - 04:54 p.m.

I think Mrs Obama is right. Many people is so worried about diets that they lose to enjoy life. So , what is the solution.It is not going to extremes.Take care of yourself, but If you do that You can eat some snacks not feeling guilty by the end of the day.
    Children that there were told in Mrs Obama meeting, are in important physical development, so they have to know that they are in the age to be responsible for their health because telling the truth, children are given money to buy what they like at school time. In that moment, parents are not present in students decisions. So what remains there is good home education.
    The main character of this movie is given to parents because they must teach and give a good example for their children that they are responsible to take care of their health.
    In brief, Mrs Obamas comment was correct for the context and childrens ages.

• sarah009
    1/15/2015 - 01:03 p.m.

I think that Michelle Obama is right. Eating right makes you feel good and is healthy for your body. Every once and a while you have to eat something unhealthy because it's just what you like and sometimes what you are craving that day. So yes, it is okay to splurge on treats every once and a while, but remember to eat healthy and exercise to keep your body healthy.

• John0724-YYCA
    4/29/2015 - 08:16 p.m.

Well I think it is true that you need to eat right because lets say that you ate a tons of chocolate and you don't eat vegetables than your health would not be balanced so if you eat a lot of junk foods than you should eat a lot of vegetables to be equal n your health. I think it is true that you can't appreciate vegetables if you never ate any junk food.