Invading bullfrogs will eat almost anything! (Thinkstock / Reuters)
Invading bullfrogs will eat almost anything!

American bullfrogs that will eat just about anything, including each other, are spreading. Their numbers are growing along Montana's Yellowstone River. They pose a potential threat to other types of frogs, scientists say.

Bullfrogs were found along a 66-mile stretch of the river. That's according to U.S. Geological Survey biologist Adam Sepulveda. The breeding sites for the frogs are expanding quickly.

"They are going to eat anything they can fit into their mouths. It doesn't matter if it's another frog or a bird or a mosquito," said Sepulveda. He was involved in a study on Yellowstone River bullfrogs. The study appears in the journal Aquatic Invasions.

Bullfrogs as long as 12 inches when outstretched have been found. One that was caught near Billings last year had a bird in its stomach.

State and federal agencies initially tried to stop the invaders. They planned to kill them. But they gave up. There were simply too many bullfrogs. Now officials want to just contain the frogs.

Bullfrogs are native to the eastern U.S. They were spread by humans to every state except North Dakota.

They've caused many problems. The frogs prey on other, native frogs. They take food from other animals. And they spread a fungus. The fungus can harm other amphibians.

The bullfrogs were first documented in eastern Montana in 1999. Scientists believe they descended from released pet frogs. Or they came from bullfrog tadpoles that were used as bait by fishers.

The frogs have lived in western Montana since the 1920s. They likely were introduced by a farming operation. It sold the frogs' legs to be eaten, Sepulveda said.

• gesbraden
    10/07/2014 - 11:59 a.m.

Do the frogs like hot dogs, because they should. Yum... hot dogs... LOVE HOT DOGS. Eat less frog legs. Eat more hot dogs... Yum.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/07/2014 - 08:55 p.m.

I think this is a crazy article about bullfrogs that almost eats anything their size. It is crazy because I didn't hear bullfrogs that eats almost everything that is their size. I don't agree on something I've never heard of because some might be fake. I learned that some frogs eat anything almost their size. I am amazed because frogs had invaded almost every city except North Dakota and ate almost everything their size.

• gesdaniela
    10/08/2014 - 11:19 a.m.

I did not know Bullfrogs ate that much!!!!!!!!!!!At least i know now that they a eat alot!!!

• jaydind-Mit
    10/09/2014 - 11:48 a.m.

Can a bullfrog eat cardinal and a blue jay and a eagle and a vulture

• brenna23
    10/13/2014 - 12:39 p.m.

wow this is crasy that they will even eat other bullfrogs its no different from eating them self !!! Its alsow crazy that cute little frogs will eat ENTHING that will fit in to there moth even birds! Even though that fact is supper cool it is also bad because they spread fungges and make more animals come dead

• Katelynb23
    10/13/2014 - 12:43 p.m.

i wonder how a tiny bull frog can fit a whole bird in its mouth! it is very amazing that a frog eats every thing that it can fit in its mouth!

• brandi1018
    10/14/2014 - 01:18 p.m.

I think that this scary. It is a good thing that they haven't become extent though. The bad thing about this is that these frogs could eat up all of one certain type of specie and then we want be able to get that back. An interesting fact about this is that the frogs will eat anything that will fit into their mouths. This could be really bad for the food chain.

• JosephO2005
    10/21/2014 - 02:53 p.m.

I wonder if they would eat a snake or an alligator. They would have to be very small but some are bigger than some snakes and alligators but even if I was starving I wouldn't eat my own kind.

• jacobc-loy
    10/30/2014 - 01:10 p.m.

I think Invading bullfrogs will eat almost anything is a really good story. But I think people would be scared of the bullfrogs.