How do you fix a pandas tooth? Very carefully Meg Sutherland Smith, associate director of veterinary services at the San Diego Zoo, uses a light to seal a dental composite during a restorative dental procedure on giant panda Bai Yun at the San Diego Zoo (AP photos)
How do you fix a pandas tooth? Very carefully

The San Diego Zoo's giant female panda chews on a lot of bamboo. So when Bai Yun chipped a lower tooth, it had to be fixed.

The 23-year-old animal went to the dentist Wednesday. She received a shot to make her numb. Then she got the chip repaired, a cleaning and X-rays.

The Los Angeles Times reports a dental composite was used to fill the tooth.

Bamboo is chewy. To get enough nutrition out of it, a panda has to break it apart and then chew a lot. So having healthy teeth is important, especially since it's the giant panda's favorite food.

In addition, a bad tooth can be hard on any animal. But giant pandas are likely to have teeth that are damaged or worn down. To get enough nutrition, they need to eat a lot of bamboo. They spend a lot of time chewing and breaking it apart.

Bai Yun has been known to spend up to 12 hours a day eating bamboo.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/15/2014 - 09:35 p.m.

I think the article was amazing because most of the time panda's tooth are hard to get fixed. I agree with this article because sometimes if the dentist is an expert then a panda's tooth can be fixed in no time at all. I am very amazed because some dentists can't fix a tooth of a panda. I think this article is hard to believe if the panda's teeth really was fixed by a dentist. This article was very cool because once again the dentist fixed a panda's tooth.

• Nailan-Sal
    9/16/2014 - 09:57 a.m.

Poor panda I beet tath must've hurt did the panda die I really am glad tath wasn't me but still I feel bad For him
    I hope his fine were ever he is

• Gicooljon
    9/17/2014 - 11:52 a.m.

I can't believe that he had to go to the dentist that is incredible .that is really funny . But also sad .

• moranja
    9/18/2014 - 12:54 p.m.

The panda bear is going to the dentist to fix the tooth. Penny ling is a panda bear from littlest pet shop. The panda bear eats too much bamboo. The baby panda bear is cuter.

• gavynntST
    9/19/2014 - 09:37 a.m.

That's really neat. I have to ask did the panda cry? If it did how did it sound if it didn't what did it do? And how did you use the X-Ray on a panda? That's all I have to ask.

• stadtfjo
    9/19/2014 - 01:33 p.m.

why did chip the tooth in the numb panda because it probably hurt him they put him to sleep so they can do it and the panda could break it . so he didn't feel a thing and he was bloody up after his tooth was pull out of his mouth and then they clean him up and wash him up. they chew on bamboo.

• TomI-Saw
    9/19/2014 - 04:43 p.m.

i hope that panda is not getting hurt cause its so cute

• brandonjST
    9/22/2014 - 09:38 a.m.

I think that is sad how a panda has to have its tooth fixed. It is going to hurt to eat bamboo for a couple of days but good luck and get well soon.

• adrianagi
    9/23/2014 - 09:41 a.m.

That is amazing. Where do you go to get the pandas tooth fixed? Do you do people teeth too? Do pandas eat any thing ales.

Thanks for the artical

• 123van
    9/23/2014 - 10:03 a.m.

A panda going to the dentist weird! I wonder he liked it