How can a piece of glass be a piece of art? Artist Dale Chihuly created the "Mille Fiori" sculpture of glass. At left, a mixture of propane and liquid oxygen combine to heat glass (- AP photos)
How can a piece of glass be a piece of art?

A huge grin appears on the face of Jonathan Michael Davis. He is burning hole after hole through spheres of glass. They make a popping sound.

Davis is a glassblower. He uses a flame made to form glass. It is turned into art. He works at his studio in Chatham County, North Carolina. That's near Pittsboro. As the temperature from the torch in Davis' studio rises, there is excitement. A sculpture is in the making.

On a recent day, Davis was preparing a large piece. It was for the Sculpture in the Garden Exhibition at the North Carolina Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill. Other sculptors contribute, too.

"I've never done anything this big or expensive and time consuming before," Davis says. "I wanted to kind of push myself, at least in my mind. If I put forth as much effort as I possibly can, that's going to be received in some way."

• Lucas-L
    9/30/2014 - 01:13 p.m.

I like the way it is yellow it looks awesome .

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/30/2014 - 09:21 p.m.

Jonathan Michael Davis is amazing because he is a glass blower. I think it is amazing to make a glass blow in a studio in Chatham County, North Carolina. I also think that the reason why Davis had become a glass blower is because it might have been a generation. I learned that when Davis shoots something to make a glass blow pops while his experiments. I agree the glass is an expensive thing and Davis blows it up. I am very amazed because I had never heard a person blowing glass in my whole entire life. It might be a very dangerous experiment because it is about blowing glass up.

• Maggie-L
    10/01/2014 - 01:05 p.m.

Oh that is sooo cool. Wow wow awesome I wish I coulde do that

• TomI-Saw
    10/03/2014 - 02:29 p.m.

any thing can be art even glass just form it into a crystal shine light make more glass crystals and light will shine

• meganw-Bla
    10/05/2014 - 05:38 p.m.

The artist Jonathan Michael Davis is a artist called a glassblower. He uses flames to turn regular glass into a masterpiece. That is my summary of How can a piece of glass be a piece of art.

• taryn23
    10/27/2014 - 12:33 p.m.

this is a cool new way to do glass blowing it is a new material for art. instead of smashed plates and paper it adds glass so surprising. it is cool

• ArelyO-Saw
    5/28/2015 - 12:20 p.m.

I do like art it is living we like art we need art we need art for school for clothes and art is really fun and do not disagree on art art is really cool at the end because you see the amazing art you did.