How can a bright yellow cat be worth $400 million? The mascots of the Rio 2016 Olympics, left, and Paralympic Games make their first official appearance in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The smiley-faced mascot represents the animal life of Brazil while the mascot for the Paralympics is a mopped-headed doll with leafy hair, meant to represent the vast diversity of the plant life in Brazil (AP photos)
How can a bright yellow cat be worth $400 million?

A bright yellow cat-like figure is the mascot of the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The smiley-faced mascot represents the animal life of Brazil. The mascot for the Paralympics is a mopped-headed doll with leafy hair. It's meant to represent the vast diversity of the flora in Brazil.

A public poll will be conducted to name the two mascots.

The cuddly, cartoon-like mascots are big business. Organizers hope to raise $400 million from selling merchandise that includes the mascots. There will be about 12,000 products. They will be aimed mostly at children.

"Our expectation is that the mascots will represent 25 percent of our (merchandising) business," Slymara Mutini, head of licensing, told The Associated Press.

"We are all very, very excited about the mascots. And we truly believe that's an achievable goal. And we might even surpass it."

• SH2000Lovie
    12/01/2014 - 08:39 a.m.

I think that this is a good idea because this is fun and looks loving for children. You could make it out into a television show for kids and have each episode into a lesson learned.

• AV2000RED
    12/01/2014 - 08:42 a.m.

I Think That Its Smart To Aim The Mascot At The Kids Because If A Kid See's A Commercial About It Their Going To Want It And Beg Their Parents To Get it For Them . Kids Are Gull Able & No Teenager Or 10 Year old Is Going To Want Their Parent To Buy Them A Cat That's The Mascot Of The Paralympics

• austinsST
    12/04/2014 - 09:55 a.m.

Every one will try to find it but who will. I think the smartest person will find it. I think you wouldn't pay them that money.

• CooperG-Mau
    12/15/2014 - 11:25 a.m.

Wow thats really cool that the mascot is a yellow cat. It's amazing that they already have a mascot.I can't wait for the 2016 Olympycs it's amazing because the Mens world cup was just in Reo deja naro.

• SAlexander-Sti
    12/18/2014 - 10:15 a.m.

A yellow cat mascot worth $400 million, this mascot is for the 2016 Olympics. Organizers hope to make $400 million there will be about 12,000 products, aimed mostly for children. This mascot is ment to represent the vast diversity of the flora in Brazil.

• ryan0420-yyca
    1/09/2015 - 06:25 p.m.

Wow that is very expensive for a mascot. I think the people are making it so expensive becasue they want a lot of money and want to get very rich or something else. I really dont think it is worth 400 million dollars for a cat. If I had that much money i would not buy it and if they offered me the mascot i would sock them in them in the face and say are you crazy. Also I think that it is not worth that much money because it can get easily dirty and in 2016 they would probably make the price lower. But i really wonder why would it be 400 million dollars worth of a bright yellow cat. I really dont think it is worth it for the people that want to buy

• LillyS-Hor
    4/16/2015 - 02:13 p.m.

Why is it so expensive?! It's just a mascot come on. It could just be at least $100.What is it about it didn't tell. Any thing about it at all!