Giant rubber duck invades Los Angeles! An inflated Rubber Duck by Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman floats on the Kunming Lake at the Summer Palace in Beijing, China, and Los Angeles at left (Reuters)
Giant rubber duck invades Los Angeles!

The Port of Los Angeles is welcoming an unusual visitor, the world's biggest bath toy.

A 60-foot-tall rubber duck sailed into port Wednesday to kick off the Tall Ships Festival LA. It was to remain in the harbor through Sunday.

Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman first showed off his duck in 2007. Versions of it have been seen around the world. Hofman's creation was part of a tour named "Spreading joy around the world." The artist wanted those who see the giant duck recall their childhood memories.

The giant duck has more than 200 pieces. The staff for the duck can go inside through an opening in the back. An electric fan is inside so the duck can be inflated.

The giant duck has traveled the world, including the Netherlands, England, Australia, Brazil and China. The first American city it visited was Pittsburgh. Next was Norfolk, Va.

Hofman has built a new duck for most locations.

The artist's website says little about his intent but states that the duck knows no borders, does not discriminate and has no political allegiance. This means the duck does not favor one country over another.

But is a giant yellow duck art? And if it's art, what does it mean?

• AliannaR-Saw
    9/04/2014 - 05:00 p.m.

I want a big duck like that i will keep in my back yard

• TrishY-Saw
    9/04/2014 - 05:03 p.m.

I love the rubber duck and i enjoy reading the readers book.

• tybreland
    9/04/2014 - 07:04 p.m.

Wow how did a sixty foot rubber duck even get to LA in the first place. I wonder where it came from? it's scary what if the the duck blows up. Its good for the children to see a huge duck when you try and go to school,and you just see a gigantic duck in a port.

• gesdylanl
    9/05/2014 - 10:48 a.m.

How can this be real? wow! did a genie grant a giant rubber ducky or some crazy person blew it up.

• mooseloose50
    9/05/2014 - 12:47 p.m.

Shocker! Oh man I wish i lived in L.A! That rubber duck is the coolest bath toy in the world! that is real amazing that a sixty foot tall rubber duck traveled to the Netherlands, England, Australia, Brazil, and China. I wish that would fit in my bathtub or shower so I could ride it, well not in the shower the bathtub. If I owned one of them then I would take it to my Grandma, and Grampa's lake, and race it against my Grampa's boat even though I would probebly lose. Florentijn Hoffman is a VERY creative person. A rubber duck like that one should go in a muesum. I wonder how much cash that could go for, and how long it took to make such an awesome rubber duck like that. I wonder what my parents would say if I brought that home one day? If I met Florentijn Hofman I would get my Dad, and team up with him to make a rubber duck like that.

• JuliannaS-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 01:55 p.m.

That duck is so HUGE! that can not be a real duck.

• Gicooljon
    9/08/2014 - 11:57 a.m.

Why is the rubber duck so big. That wound not even fit in my bath

• Gicooljon
    9/08/2014 - 11:57 a.m.

Why is the rubber duck so big. That wound not even fit in my bath

• Gicooljon
    9/08/2014 - 11:58 a.m.

Why is the rubber duck so big. That wound not even fit in my bath

• Gicooljon
    9/08/2014 - 11:58 a.m.

Why is the rubber duck so big. That wound not even fit in my bath tube