Getting blood from dogs? Easy! But cats? Not so much. Paula Hackett talks with her dog Tosey, a 5-year-old Great Dane, inside the University of Pennsylvania veterinary school's animal bloodmobile
Getting blood from dogs? Easy! But cats? Not so much.

The four canines recently donated precious pints of blood to their fellow pooches. They did it without having to travel far. They visited an animal bloodmobile.

Officials at Penn's School of Veterinary Medicine said they don't know of any other animal bloodmobiles in the U.S.

Dogs must have the correct blood type. They must weigh at least 55 pounds and be younger than 8. Owners volunteer their pet for the short procedure.

About 150 dogs participate. Each donates three or four pints a year. The blood helps animals suffering from illnesses. One pint can save up to three dogs.

Sandy Lucas brought her 7-year-old black German shepherd to the bloodmobile. The bloodmobile made it convenient to find out if Raina could donate, she said. Sandy was pleased that Raina's blood could help.

And what about a catmobile? Perhaps not surprisingly, felines are bit less cooperative. They need to be sedated in order to give blood, so Penn does that only at its animal hospital.

• lfsalex-Cla
    5/19/2014 - 01:51 p.m.

I wish that my dog could donate his blood. He was a black lab. I think he would be happy to help just as I would be.

• lfskathleen-Cla
    5/19/2014 - 01:51 p.m.

I think it is very nice that owners let their dogs donate blood and can help save other dogs by doing this.It is also very nice that they do it yearly so they cansave almost 9 dogs a year .My dog has donated blood once .

• MadisonD1-Gar
    5/21/2014 - 12:47 p.m.

It is amazing how dog donate blood like that. They are my favorite type of pet, but cats , not so much.

• AbbyP1-Gar
    5/22/2014 - 12:59 p.m.

I DO NOT THINK THAT MY DOG WOULD DO THAT UNLIKE OTHER DOGS

• SusanaCC-Wal
    9/26/2014 - 11:37 a.m.

I wonder why dogs would donate blood and cats no so much.German shepherds are a kind of scary dogs.My cousins have a lab that is brown with golden lines.It would be scary getting blood from a type of dog

• addyp-Bla
    11/09/2014 - 07:56 p.m.

At a school called Penn's school of veterinary medicine and brought in dogs to donate blood to sick dogs. They say the dog has to weigh at least 55 pounds and be under the age of 8 . Sandy Lucas brought her 7 year black German Shepherd to the bloodmobile. her name was Raina . She got tested and was allowed to proceed and Sandy was happy she and her dog could help. A catmobile wouldn't be good . You would have to give them medicine to calm down to give blood. Thank you buy.