Fishermen catch 500-pound sawfish (Wikimedia Commons)
Fishermen catch 500-pound sawfish

You may never have seen a fish like this. It's called a sawfish. It's pretty easy to know why.

One was caught off Boynton Beach, Florida last weekend. A TV station, WSVN, and AOL.com reported about it.

Dustin Richter and his friends caught the fish. The sawfish has a long snout. It features razor-sharp teeth on either side, like a saw. The fish use the snouts to dig through the ocean floor or cut their prey.

Richter and his friends released their sawfish back into the ocean.

The National Wildlife Federation says sawfish are most likely dying out. It is very easy for their snouts to get tangled up in fishing nets.

• John0724-YYCA
    5/28/2014 - 07:27 p.m.

The sawfish looks pretty scary and it looks light but it is actually five hundred pounds! But the fish looks harmful because the mouth looks like a saw. Does the sawfish attack other animals? Also the fish looks like a paper and it is five hundred pounds! But then the mouth looks dangerous and funny. The teeth is sticking out of the sawfish's mouth and how is the sawfish going to eat? Or does the sawfish swallows the food.

• AvaM-Mye
    5/29/2014 - 12:19 p.m.

That is a very cool fish and I bet it is very rare. It is so cool that it has that sharp of teeth.

• addison7080
    5/29/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

Isn't a saw fish a shark? and why would it be were fishermen fish?

• Ashley0207-yyca
    6/20/2014 - 01:26 p.m.

OMG!? I never knew that a fisherman caught a 500 pound sawfish!? Well I wish I caught an amazing fish like that.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    7/15/2014 - 12:39 p.m.

REBUTTLE
    I think that catching a giant fish like that is scary because you are catching a animals that is almost extinct and you want to catch one? I think that having this happen is really wrong because you are hurting this animal and that means that yup want all of these animals killed to the very end? I think that having you think that is wrong because you want these awesome animals dead and you just care about getting one. I think that is very wrong, what if you were that saw fish. Would you run or would you just let the people catch you? I would run because I would want to keep my kind alive and living.

• John0724-YYCA
    7/16/2014 - 02:01 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
    I would not want to catch this fish because what happened if you got this fish and it is in your boat and it started attacking you. Also it is a rare fish after all so it will be good to put it back into the water. Also what are you going to do with that fish when you catch it.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    7/16/2014 - 02:08 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
    I think that you are doing something wrong. Why would you catch an almost extinct fish? I think that you wanted to do this because you didn't think about all the sawfishes going to extinct. Also if you read the article thoroughly you should have known that most of the sawfishes are almost extinct. What would you have done to that fish if it was caught by you anyway, and also did you know that it can be very dangerous while you catch it because it will still be alive for a short period of time?

• philipwST
    9/16/2014 - 09:55 a.m.

The fish is super cool. The name Saw Fish is awesome. It is ashamed that the Saw Fish is dying out. How is the Saw Fish dying out?

• michaelST
    9/19/2014 - 09:47 a.m.

What kind of bait did you use? What type of water was it in? That must of bin a fight! I only fish at the river.How did you grab the 500 pond fish? How many men did it take to pick it up? Nice fish!

• annabel1226-yyca
    6/15/2015 - 08:50 p.m.

I thought saw fish are rare. So why did they caught the saw fish that weighs 500 pounds. If I caught one I will report and let it go. It will be so cool and if you have it you will get a lot of money.