Everybody used to wear jeans. But not anymore. (Thinkstock)
Everybody used to wear jeans. But not anymore.

Sales of jeans are going down. People more often are wearing yoga pants and leggings.

Jeans long have been popular and they still are. Just not quite as much.

But sales of the denim blues fell 6 percent during the past year. The shift is partly due to a lack of new designs. It's also a reflection of changing views about what's appropriate to wear for school and work.

"Yoga pants have replaced jeans in my wardrobe," said Anita Ramaswamy, a Scottsdale, Arizona high-school senior.

The jeans business isn't dead. It's just not quite as good as before. Customer Growth Partners estimates denim accounts for 20 percent of yearly sales at U.S. stores.

But researchers said sales of jeans in the U.S. fell 6 percent during the year that ended in June. Sales of yoga pants and other "active wear" climbed 7 percent.

Levi Strauss invented blue jeans 141 years ago. Now the company is creating new versions. It's more "stretchy."

Fashion watchers call yoga pants and leggings the "athleisure" trend.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/11/2014 - 10:27 p.m.

I think it is very weird to have no more people wearing jeans. Why are jeans not so popular anymore? I think jeans are not popular because no one buys them anymore. I am feeling very weird about this article. I mean who would not wear jeans anymore? I would still buy jeans forever and ever.

• sparkle345
    9/12/2014 - 11:40 a.m.

First of all this amazes me because alot of people last year wore them like every day of their life! Though i do not like jeans. When i was little my mom would somtimes dress me in jeans. My mom said I have had only 6 pairs of jeans in my whole life! I really do enjoy leggings and yogga pants alot. I also think that jeans are uncomfortable. Some jeans do look cute.

• julianb-Coo
    9/18/2014 - 09:06 a.m.

IT IS WRIED BECAUSE PANTS ARE 'NT BEING WEIRED ALL THE TIME

• OliviaW-Wal
    9/26/2014 - 11:30 a.m.

Everyonebody wears jeans becase there are bugs out. No one wants to be bit.

• OliviaW-Wal
    9/26/2014 - 11:34 a.m.

Everybody weas jeans becase bugs are out. No one wants to be bit.

• allisonfST
    12/03/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

I have noticed the big change that a lot more teens are wearing leggings instead of Jeans. I wonder if they count jeggings as leggings or yoga pants?

• Prabhleen-Hor
    2/27/2015 - 01:53 p.m.

I know that not much people wear jeans.they wear leggings and other.But I still wear jeans.I think other people should too.

• HannahB-Kut
    4/02/2015 - 08:48 p.m.

I do get why jeans could be going out of style but why so fast? I know at my school leggings are more popular because they are comfortable. I don't understand if this is how everyone feels.?

• guadalupecastillo
    5/14/2015 - 10:25 a.m.

This article is about jeans because sales are going down. Actually people prefer use pants more comfortable as leggings. This occurs because it does not create new designs of jeans.
    It is also a point of view about what is appropriate to wear. Yoga pants and leggings are becoming a new trend called "athleisure".
    I think that replace jeans for yoga pants and leggings it is due to our comfort as we move more than jeans because the jeans material is less flexible.

• victoriaorregollanos
    6/06/2015 - 11:08 p.m.

This text about how the tipical and iconic blue jeans isn't be so popular right now, because people prefer other tipes of pants, like a yoga pants or leggins.

It's really weird to say that the blue jeans fell their sales, because all people wear blue jeans and they are very popular, confortable and tipical of the human being. After all I think that the blue jeans industry doesn't dissapear never but they have to innovate their designs