Ever seen a wirehaired viszla? Falko, left, a wire-haired vizsla, and Luna, a coton de tulear, sit on stage with their owners, Anton Sagh, of Montreal, Quebec, and Adrianne Dering, of Morgantown, W.Va. (AP photos)
Ever seen a wirehaired viszla?

Two breeds have been added to the nation's premier dog competition. It's the Westminster Kennel Club show. It's set for Feb. 16-17.

The wirehaired viszla is a rugged, versatile hunter. It's conditioned to withstand frosty Hungarian winters. The coton de tulear is a happy-go-lucky companion. It came from the island of Madagascar, near Africa.

The club's leaders, as well as Luna the cotton de tulear, and Falko the wirehaired viszla, appeared Tuesday. Luna stood politely.

The small but sturdy animal has been dubbed the "royal dog of Madagascar." It's known for its flowing, cotton-like coat. It has a chipper disposition.

"I say they're a big dog in a small dog's boots," Luna's breeder and co-owner said. She is Adrianne Dering of Morgantown, West Virginia. The breed initially developed on its own. Then it became popular with Madagascar's wealthy and later with French colonists. The name coton de tulear is pronounced koh-TOHN du TOO-lay-ahr.

"They're just very adaptable, and they like everybody," Dering said.

The wirehaired viszla was bred to be an all-weather hunting aide in northern Hungary. The name viszla is pronounced VEEZ-shlah. The dog has a brushy coat. It has a heavier build than its cousin the viszla. Falko, owned by Anton Sagh of Montreal, Canada, relaxed on the floor Tuesday.

"They're just phenomenal in the field," but "really easygoing to live with." That was how Wirehaired Vizsla Club of America President Jean Schroeder of Wanatah, Indiana, described the dog.

Breeds are added to the Westminster show after the American Kennel Club recognizes them. There are 180 AKC-recognized breeds.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/06/2014 - 09:54 p.m.

I think this article is crazy because because how can dogs are like they are famous. I don't agree with this article because dogs can not be a big star, I mean how are they the big star. If I had dogs I would have not let them do anything famous or things that make them go to Instagram or tweentribune. I learned that two dogs are very famous or something. I am amazed because only two dogs are famous on tweentribune.

• orahf-
    10/16/2014 - 12:43 p.m.

I think that it was a good idea to they had were a show dogs that people like to see the dogs on TV. It was in masgascar and they breed their owed dogs. Other people like dogs because they like to have dogs because it very cool to have dogs.

• galvinc-
    10/16/2014 - 01:04 p.m.

I Think it's cool that the AKC has new breeds. Its very interesting to me . I never heard of them before and I think it's very exciting to me . If I had the Vizsla dog I would named it Toby Keith's .

• ashleighb-Hyl
    10/24/2014 - 12:42 p.m.

This is so cool that a new breed of dogs was added to The Westminster Dog Show. This article was really cool!!!! :) It was also very nice to read. :) :)

• margareth-Hyl
    10/24/2014 - 12:45 p.m.

The dogs are SO cu it! I read it and automatically feel in love with the breeds. I so want a Wire-hairdo Visual and a Cot tin DE Tiler! I hope my mom WILL give me a dog of any kind.

• aliciac-Hyl
    10/24/2014 - 12:46 p.m.

I think the story was awesome. These dogs like everybody. I want a wirehaired viszla. The one problem is I don't like to hunt. They are easygoing so I would love to have one.

• emilianar-Hyl
    10/24/2014 - 12:46 p.m.

I think it was kind of cool learning about a ne breed of dogs. I also liked where it told where the dogs came from, Madagascar. I also think the dogs were really cute.A deatail from the article is Breeds are added to the Westminster show after the American Kennel Clud reconizes them.

• tylero-Hyl
    10/24/2014 - 12:46 p.m.

I really liked this article this is the best yet .I would like to see the dog show in real life to see who wins.

• seanz-Hyl
    10/24/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

I liked this because the club leaders,as well as Luna the cotton detulear,and Falco the wirehaired viszla appeared Tuesday.Luna stood politely.

• samuelw-Hyl
    10/24/2014 - 12:48 p.m.

This is a awesome article well that's my opinion about this article of ever seen a wire haired visual but you guys probably have other opinions i liked how much information this article gave you about this breed of dogs this is the best article i have ever read and took a quiz OT of 100 articles i read in my life if you want to comment on what wrote go ah ed and comment have fun commenting on what i wrote but dint forget this is a great article!!!