Drivers let toads cross road safely A baby toad is held in the Roxborough neighborhood of Philadelphia
Drivers let toads cross road safely

It's rush hour in Philadelphia for baby toads. They hop across a busy street on a rainy summer night.

Why do toadlets cross the road? To get to the woods on the other side. That is where they will live. They eat mosquitoes and grow up to be full-sized American toads. After a couple of years, they'll make the reverse trek as adults.

That's where the Toad Detour comes in.

An environmental group sets up a roadblock each year. It reroutes cars so the amphibians can cross the two-lane street without fear of, um, croaking.

The cycle starts in early spring. Adult toads, which can fit in the palm of your hand, emerge from the woods to breed. They cross Port Royal Avenue, scale an steep hill and then travel down a densely vegetated hill. Their offspring about the size of a raisin make the journey in reverse about six weeks later.

So many baby toads were on the move Monday evening it looked like the road's muddy shoulder was alive. Volunteers scooped them up in plastic cups. Then they placed them on the habitat side of the street.

"I didn't expect at all that there were going to be so many of them in one area," said 17-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt. She held a cup with more than a dozen toadlets. "And they're so tiny. They look like bugs."

About 2,400 adult toads have been helped to cross the road this spring. And residents seem to support the project.

"We get some people that question it," said volunteer Claire Morgan. "But after they do it, they're hooked."

• John0724-YYCA
    6/13/2014 - 01:25 p.m.

It is funny and weird that they put up the sign but it is also a good thing that they did it. If they did not put up that sign then a lot of baby toads could have died. But I

• John0724-YYCA
    6/13/2014 - 01:33 p.m.

It is funny and weird that they put up the sign but it was a good thing that they put up the sign. If they did not put up the sign then a lot of baby toads could have died by cars. But when I looked at the picture I did not know that baby toads are very small like little tiny bugs. So that is why cars go over baby toads. But I wonder if the sign was handmade or they bought it at the store? They probably bought it at the store because it looks hard. Now I think that cars are not going to go over baby toads.

• Eugene0808-YYCA
      8/08/2014 - 02:49 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
      John, people put that sign so the baby toads can get across the road safely. Also, the article even said the baby toads were the size of a raisin so they look like bugs jumping across the road. Now that the sign is there, the cars can now stop for the toads.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    6/19/2014 - 04:30 p.m.

Wow toads can jump that long! I wish I can jump that high. Boy that sure would be awesome. I wonder if I can run super fast like a cheetah or Sonic the hedgehog.

Well I might jump high. But that was in my dreams. Huh I'm so bad at jumping. I felt very amazed because how can a toad jump over a road. Maybe I'll jump like that when I grow up.

• John0724-YYCA
    7/29/2014 - 02:20 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
    Ashley, you are not supposed to talk about how high they jump. You are supposed to talk about the new sign they put up for the baby toads. W

• william1108-yyca
    6/24/2015 - 05:16 p.m.

I never knew that drivers let toads cross the road. I have never seen a toad cross the road. I have also never seen a sign tat says let the toads pass.Maybe next time I will find one.

• annabel1226-yyca
      7/28/2015 - 01:42 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
      William I disagree with you, that drivers should let toads cross the road. If they don't the toads are going to be stepped on the tire and it was the toad's land and we took it so we should respect the toads. The toad signs are not in LA, so you didn't get to see the sign. In LA there is no toads, so there is no signs.