Dogs tummy was chock full of socks! This X-ray shows the dogs stomach. The socks the dog ate appear at left after they were removed (AP photos)
Dogs tummy was chock full of socks!

A 3-year-old Great Dane was sick and miserable. His owners took him to an animal hospital.

Nearly two hours of surgery later, Dr. Ashley Magee had the answer. The dog had eaten 43 1/2 socks.

DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital spokeswoman Shawna Harch said it's perhaps the strangest case in the hospital's history. So strange that the hospital entered a contest sponsored by the vet magazine, Veterinary Practice News. The hospital won a prize.

The contest is called "They Ate WHAT?"

The $1,500 first-place winner was a Plano, Texas, animal hospital. It treated an exotic frog that ate more than 30 small ornamental rocks from its cage.

The Portland hospital says the Great Dane went home a day after surgery.

Tom Hallman Jr. of Oregonian.com described the Great Dane's symptoms this way. Imagine eating, he said, five large pizzas in one sitting.

In the end, Dr. Magee removed 43 1/2 socks. No one knows what happened to the other half sock.

The Portland hospital won $500 for second place in the contest. The money will help low-income people pay for vet bills.

• Dra
    9/08/2014 - 11:41 a.m.

That is crazy how a dog ate that many socks

• Emf6
    9/08/2014 - 02:46 p.m.

That is crazy weard how can a dog eat that much

• ryan0420-yyca
    9/09/2014 - 09:06 p.m.

I think the dog made a world record. The dogs trainer should take more care of the dog. The dog could have died by that. I think the dogs has a pretty stinky breath. That dog is the most strangest dog to me in the world . I think the dog ate that may socks because his trainer might have not given him food to eat. I think the dog could explode by eatting that many socks.

• lacyn-Bla
    9/10/2014 - 04:56 p.m.

it was great .my favorite part was when the surgery was over.

• sweetcupcake2
    9/12/2014 - 11:55 a.m.

Wow I can't believe a Great Dane ate 43 and a half socks that sounds amazingly odd! Plus I can't believe the owners didn't realize they were missing socks! How did the doctors get most of the socks out that sounds really cool! In the x-ray picture the x-ray of the dog looks so weird! I can't believe they won a prize for ''They Ate WHAT?''! I'm still amazed that a dog ate 43 and a half socks!

• addyp-Bla
    9/14/2014 - 09:11 p.m.

I like this story because it is very interesting and I am very happy the dog is ok. It was exciting that he won the contest.

• sydneyf-Coo
    9/18/2014 - 08:59 a.m.

Awesome story and funny. Crazy Dr. Ashley a dog can do that

• carmam-Coo
    9/18/2014 - 09:02 a.m.

Awesome story and funny ,crazy Dr Ashley a dog can do that.

• jillianpST
    9/25/2014 - 09:36 a.m.

WOW, that's crazy! I don't think my dog can fit that many socks in her body! That's because she's a dachshund. I wonder, how big were the socks??

• meganw-Bla
    9/28/2014 - 05:58 p.m.

this is my summary about the dog's tummy was chock full of socks. There was a great dane he was sick because he ate socks. His owner went to the vet and the vet said "that he ate 43 and a half of socks. The vet performed surgery to the dog and got all the socks out. The vet clinic went into a contest and they won second plce and got $500 for the clinic.