Does your dog need a massage? Shelah Barr of Happy Hounds Massage gives a massage to Dewie, 2. Practitioners say massage can be a preventive measure for younger animals and rehabilitative for older ones by boosting flexibility, circulation and immunity (AP photos)
Does your dog need a massage?

Spa treatments don't stop with people. Animals get massages, too. It's a service that many pet owners value.

"People call me because their dogs are having problems," said Shelah Barr. She is a San Francisco dog massage therapist. "The work I do is important for animals so they have a high quality of life."

Practitioners say massage can be a preventive measure for younger animals. It can help older ones by boosting flexibility, circulation and immunity.

Massage sessions can last 30-40 minutes.

Barr is guided by what the dog desires. Sometimes that means the pet chews on a bone the whole time.

Grace Granatelli is an animal masseuse in the Phoenix suburb of Scottsdale. She plays new-age music or "spa sounds," which help relax dogs.

Granatelli would have the dog lie on the floor or its bed. She would start by massaging its neck. She would then move to other areas, including legs and hips. But it's not crucial that the dog lie down or sit still.

Carol Forrest is a former client of Granatelli's. She said her Dachshunds, Maxie and Lucy, got regular massages for five years. The two were able to relax after a massage despite dealing with issues such as arthritis. Forrest said she believes massage benefits dogs as much as people.

• Kiaraw-OBr
    12/03/2014 - 01:53 p.m.

The reason why the music make the dog relask because the music is nice and relats and it is sothing .

• jaiyaj-Opi
      1/06/2015 - 03:23 p.m.

I think that is nice of her to do that I had a dog over the summer he name was'' princess '' she was a good dog but she had a couple problems if I still had her I would take her to that massage doctor but I gave her away for free.

• addyp-Bla
    12/10/2014 - 09:24 p.m.

This is an article about dog massages.Not only people but dogs get massages too. Shalah Barr a dog massage therapist said ,"people call me because their dog is having problems."The work in life i do is impotent" she said. Massage therapist say massage can be preventive to young dogs.Massages can help older dogs like boost flexibility,circulation ,and immunity.The massages are about 30-40 min. long . Shalah lets them lie on the floor or on a bed.She does what the dog likes and she sometimes gives it a bone to chew on through out the massage. Grace Granatelli new spa music to relax the dog.Carol Forrest is a former client of Grace. Her dachshunds Maxie and Lucy have been getting massages for five years.They were very relaxed after all of the treatments and their illnessimproved.That was my summery on dog massages.

• Tiffany0307-yyca
    12/26/2014 - 03:18 p.m.

I have never seen an animal get massaged. But it must feel actually good for that dog picture in the article. I still agree that animals should get massaged because I think they have to relax or something like that. But it kind of sounds weird because earlier the article said that the lady put on some music for the dog so it can relax. I kind of disagree with that because in my old afterschool, The principal had a puppy named Harlie. The principal just kind of rubbed her body a little bit. The principal's wife put on some music for her, but Harlie just growled and ran away from its owner. But it should be true that dogs should need relaxation.

• Isabelle-Hor
    2/12/2015 - 02:13 p.m.

Do you think it feels good to the animal? I hope it does. Just the word massage makes so sleepy and think of my mom. Do massages feel good to you because it does to me. All kinds of animals can have a massage. Cows,horses,cats,and dogs get massages.I LOVE massages SO much. Now I know why there called massages,cause there massive!

• ryan0420-yyca
    5/14/2015 - 09:07 p.m.

wow that is cool a dog getting a massage. Thats very weird my dog would have never even stood still for a massage . But it is right for a dog to get a massage because they can get as tired as human. Dogs probably get tired by running to much or chewing their bone to much. I think that it is dangerous to massage a dog because lets say you accidently hurt one of their bones they're going bite your face

• John0724-YYCA
    6/16/2015 - 08:38 p.m.

I heard of people getting massaged but I never heard of a dog getting a massage because I thought that dogs don't get a massage like us and I never knew there is a place like a spa for dogs. When I get a dog I will give it a try of giving it a massage but I wonder is it relaxing for dogs too when they get a massage.