Could you eat a 100-foot-long bratwurst? Mabel and Larry Schubert help lay out a 100 foot-long bratwurst on a grill at the Silver Creek Saloon in Belleville, Ill. At left, President Obama bites a brat in Milwaukee (AP photo / Reuters)
Could you eat a 100-foot-long bratwurst?

About 50 people volunteered to carefully grill a 100-foot bratwurst. But they had to be careful. They couldn't burn it or break it.

A practice run was held to prepare for the city's 200th anniversary. That's when the volunteers will attempt to grill a 200-foot-long bratwurst, the Belleville News-Democrat reported. The Bicentennial Oktoberfest Weekend Celebration is Sept. 19-21.

Larry Schubert, who made the 60-pound sausage, led the effort. He unrolled it onto a specially made 100-foot metal trough, where the brat will be cooked. Volunteers used caution after practicing in August with a 50-foot bratwurst. That one broke in several places. It was turned too quickly and the grill was too hot.

A baking company will make a 200-foot-long bun to go with the bratwurst on Sept. 21. Donations will be collected from those who want to eat a piece. Proceeds will benefit food pantries that provide food to people who don't have enough food.

On Tuesday, after volunteers shoveled a layer of burning coal onto the grill, Schubert gingerly unrolled the brat. The group put on gloves and tried to rotate the brat. They wanted to cook it until the whole thing was 160 degrees and safe to eat.

At one point, Bob Schweiger, who was in the middle of the line, said: "We need a Band-Aid." But all was well.

A 50-foot bratwurst broke in several places when volunteers practiced in August. That's because they turned too quickly and the grill was too hot.

Schubert also will make the 200-foot brat to be grilled Sept. 21. The bun will be made at the bakery that morning. Then it will be carried down Main Street by the Lindenwood University band to where the brat will be grille

• cheer13
    9/12/2014 - 11:46 a.m.

I think that is DISGUSTING!!! I would never eat that much even if I was getting paid 1 billion dollars. I sometimes can`t even finish one brat I could not ever eat a 100 foot long brat. I don`t even really like brats in the first place though, so it probally helps if you like brats. Ugg I am just imagining someone doing that, that is digusting. I don`t even know why sombody would do that afterward they will probally wiegh a lot more then they did before they ate that much food! they will definatly have a tummyach after that.

• VTI2005
    9/12/2014 - 11:46 a.m.

Hello, I love to eat. When I was 8, last year, I went to Relay for Life. There they held a pie eating contest. I truly loved it. So, I just probably love this contest, right? WRONG! The idea is disgusting! I think I'm sick...

• mooseloose50
    9/12/2014 - 11:48 a.m.

WOW!!! That is amazing that someone can make such a big brat. If I was there I would be in food paradise. I wonder what the drink would be like to go with the gigantic brat. That is very nice of them to donate the money the people gave them to a food pantry. It is truly amazing that some volunteers could make a two hundred foot long bratwurst I can barely make a two foot long brat! The brat is two pounds heavier than me, so if I ate all of it I would weigh one hundred and seven-teen pounds ( if I held my puke back) That is an awesome brat!

• wrestling836
    9/12/2014 - 11:54 a.m.

I would like a 200 feet long bratwurst. with a 200 feet long bun. it would be delicious and tasty. i wonder how hard it was to make the bratwurst. I bet it took a week to make that thing. where did they even get all those ingredient's. And a big stove to cook that on. it was nice reading this.

• Gicooljon
    9/15/2014 - 12:07 p.m.

I can't believe that now won one that contest I now that is really hard.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/15/2014 - 09:47 p.m.

I think this article is delicious because it is talking about something that is food. I don't agree that they will cook a 100 foot long bratwurst perfectly. But I think the brat will taste very delicious when it is done cooking. I am surprised that some volunteered to cook the 100 foot long bratwurst. This is such a weird article of a food called bratwurst.

• colecST
    9/18/2014 - 09:59 a.m.

I thought it was cool that you made a 100 foot long brat! How many people did it take to eat the one 100 foot long brat? How did you get a brat that long? Although I thought that that was interesting thanks !!!!

• Dra
    10/01/2014 - 11:37 a.m.

That is crazy how they cooked a 200ft brat. It also looks really good.

• Sec20614
    10/01/2014 - 11:38 a.m.

I think that is good but I would not want to pay more than $3.00 to eat a 5in. Piece.

• Tiffany0307-yyca
    4/21/2015 - 08:44 p.m.

I think that this is just crazy because I don't think anyone would ever eat a 200-feet long bratwurst, or meat, to be common. But, anyways, a person who can totally do that can be obviously a some kind of hero or something like that. I think that a really hungry person, like who didn't eat for about an year, could totally eat that kind of meal. But anyways, I think that this article convinces me to really eat when I am really hungry. Of course eating that long bratwurst is totally a record, and I'm pretty sure the people I know can't eat that kind of long (and I mean, really long) food. I don't think that people should really eat that, especially just only one person who eats the whole thing. Well, because it can be probably unhealthy, and maybe it may cause health problems later on, and you won't want to eat anymore food for like a very long time.