Cool car or dorkmobile? This three-wheeled vehicle will sell for $6,800. It can save on gas with fuel economy of 84 mpg (AP photos)
Cool car or dorkmobile?

Your next car could have two seats, three wheels and get 84 miles to the gallon.

Elio Motors' tiny car is the same length as a Honda Fit but half the weight. With a starting price of $6,800, it's also less than half the cost.

Elio plans to start making the cars next fall in Shreveport, Louisiana. Already, more than 27,000 people have reserved one. Elio hopes to make 250,000 cars a year by 2016. That's close to the number Mazda sells in the U.S.

The car has three wheels, two in front and one in the rear. Because of that, the Elio is classified as a motorcycle by the U.S. government. But Elio Motors founder Paul Elio says the vehicle has all the safety features of a car.

The car only has one door, on the left side. It has air conditioning, power windows and door locks and an AM/FM radio. More features can be ordered.

Elio said so far, reservation holders are buyers who will use the Elio as a second or third car. They might use it to get back and forth to work.

Eventually, he believes the car will appeal to high school and college students as well as used-car drivers who want something newer and more reliable.

• 03Alex-May
    8/19/2014 - 02:24 p.m.

This takes the tricycle to a whole new level.I want onen now<that would be the coolest / weirdest car ever.

• wrestling836
    9/05/2014 - 12:49 p.m.

A car with three weels it's blowing my mind. I really liked the color bright orange it brings uot the car. Already more than 27,000 people have reserved one. Because of the one weel in the back it's classified as a motercycle. I think this artical is cool because who wolud'nt want a car with three weels.

• Dra
    9/08/2014 - 11:31 a.m.

Man I wish I could buy the car and drive it

• Sec20614
    9/08/2014 - 11:31 a.m.

Man I don't think that's dorky at all. I want one.

• haileybr-Bla
    9/18/2014 - 03:43 p.m.

This article is about this really cool car that has three wheels and one door.The price is $6,800 tats a lot of money.The people said that is has all the safety features like door locks and air-conditioning.This car also has 84 miles on it I think thats pretty cool.This person thinks that one day this car will appeal to high school and collage kids.In this article it says that the gonverment has already approved this car sellable

• jamisendST
    9/22/2014 - 09:39 a.m.

Is the car good in snow .Can it go fast and is it good on gas. But i think it is a good car.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/30/2014 - 09:36 p.m.

I think this article is very technical because it talks about car's inside and outside. I learned that this car that was invented had only 3 wheels. I don't agree that Paul Elio can make 250,000 cars by the year 2016. I am very amazed because Elio is so confident that he can make 250,000 cars by the year 2016. The thing that mostly surprised me is when 27,000 people has gt one of those three wheeled cars with one door.

• Sawyer-L
    10/02/2014 - 01:11 p.m.

I think it is perfect for me but for less money for 5,890. And three weels

• william1108-yyca
    6/29/2015 - 07:31 p.m.

Wow! I never knew that there was such thing as a car that only has thee wheels. I think the car sucks. it looks to small and it only had one door. Look at the picture.The car is smaller than a normal car. And it looks like it is going to fall. So when I see a car like that on sale I an going to ignore it.

• tyl-612-
    1/08/2016 - 10:50 a.m.

I think that this car has a better gas millage then most cars because it has fewer wheels and fewer doors.