Can you believe bubbles made Toy Hall of Fame? (ThinkStock)
Can you believe bubbles made Toy Hall of Fame?

It's mission accomplished for little green army men.

The plastic pretend soldiers have been inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame is in Rochester, N.Y. The plastic soldiers were honored along with the 1980s stumper Rubik's Cube, and soap bubbles.

The trio of toys takes its place alongside other classics. Those include Barbie, G.I. Joe, Scrabble and the hula hoop. This year's winners beat out nine other finalists.

The tiny green army pieces have been around since 1938.

The army men were finalists two other years before making the cut this time around. That should offer hope to this year's runners-up. Those include Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Slip 'N Slide, the skill game Operation and paper airplanes.

The Rubik's Cube was invented in Hungary in the 1970s. It became popular in the United States in 1980. More than 100 million of the six-color cubes were sold between 1980 and 1982.

The cubes have nine colored squares on each side. They can be arranged 43 quintillion ways. Mats Valk of the Netherlands holds the speed record for re-aligning the colors. He did it in 5.55 seconds.

Children have played with soap bubbles since at least the 17th century. There are paintings from that time depicting the play in what is now Belgium. Now, more than 200 million bottles of bubble liquid are sold annually.

A national selection committee made up of 24 experts vote the winners in to the Toy Hall of Fame each year.

"All kinds of stuff gets nominated," hall curator Nicolas Ricketts said. "People have nominated dirt, sofa cushions. Anything that someone has played with and had a good time with might end up being nominated."

• logenm-Kin
    11/13/2014 - 09:28 a.m.

I liked that you posted this passage because if your little kid you need to know about these things.

• maxcr-Kin
    11/13/2014 - 09:37 a.m.

Even though I don't like bubbles I think that bubbles should still be in the Toy hall of fame.

• kristinaf-Kin
    11/13/2014 - 09:39 a.m.

I can't believe that bubbles have sold 200 million bubbles sold it is also so cool that it's is so old but still so popular.

• nichos-Kin
    11/13/2014 - 09:40 a.m.

I think that bubbles shouldn't have made the toy hall of fame because no one plays with bubbles any more. Plus bubbles are boring to me. If someone made me I wouldn't

• sarahr-Kin
    11/13/2014 - 09:44 a.m.

This was an excellent blogs, just I didn't quite get it. It didn't make sense to me because they kept flipping to other things

• kacieo-Kin
    11/13/2014 - 09:46 a.m.

Bubbles are acutely pretty fun to play with. I mean bubbles who does not like bubbles.

• coriw-Kin
    11/13/2014 - 09:49 a.m.

I loved this article. Thank you for telling me about the toy hall of fame and how long ago some of my favorite toys have been release and were popular.

• pennyw-Bla
    11/15/2014 - 02:36 p.m.

Every year some toys get nominated into the National Toy Hall of Fame. This year, Green army men , Rubik's cube, Barbie, G.I Joe, Scrabble, Hula-Hoop , and soap bubbles made it in. Many things get nominated but 24 experts vote on the winners. Some people have even nominated Dirt and Sofa cushions because children play with them.