Can a bulldog be beautiful? Tiffany Torstenson, of Waukee, Iowa, kisses her dog Lucey after it was crowned the winner of the 35th annual Drake Relays Beautiful Bulldog Contest
Can a bulldog be beautiful?

Lucey is a slobbering 18-month-old pooch. Her human family dreams of making her a therapy dog.

Lucey beat out 49 drooling competitors to take this year's "Beautiful Bulldog" pageant. The not-too-serious event kicks off the weeklong Drake Relays. The Relays are an internationally renowned track and field meet in Des Moines.

"She's just very calm and she loves people," Tiffany Torstenson, of Waukee, Iowa, said. "She loves the attention."

Tiffany is a doctor at the Mercy Katzmann Breast Center. She often takes Lucey to work. Lucey's attitude around doctors and patients makes Tiffany think that she'd make a perfect therapy dog. She will soon start training to become one.

Lucey was certainly a hit with the crowd at Drake's Knapp Center. She beat a pair of boys named Lord Nelson and Zuul.

"She's very docile and she doesn't get really excited," Tiffany said. "Every room we go into, she's in that room. She likes to sleep in the bed, and hog the bed. And she loves cheese."

Monday marked the 35th anniversary of the Beautiful Bulldog event. It was started in 1979 to find a real dog to represent the school's mascot, the Bulldogs.

The pageant is meant to honor English Bulldogs . The event has become so popular in recent years that a lottery was needed to winnow the field from over 100 bulldogs down to 50.

Competitors from as far away as South Dakota and Kansas made the trip to Des Moines to find out which pup would be voted the prettiest.

But no one could touch the simple pink tutu and award-winning smile of Lucey.

Lucey received a crown, a cape and a cake for winning the event. She'll be honored at Drake Stadium later this week.

"She's good with kids. She's good with adults. She's just been a great dog," said Lucey's owner, Toby Torstenson.

• KalebGreenQ4
    4/24/2014 - 04:42 p.m.

I think he will be a good therapy dog too.

• tj2012
    4/25/2014 - 12:18 p.m.

Oh my god he is so cute. Isnt he guys.

• MasonWa-Wal
      9/22/2014 - 11:39 a.m.

she looks scary buts she nice or he,s nice i want that dog soooooooo much

• ngoc278
    4/28/2014 - 11:28 a.m.

Lucey is a English Bulldogs. This dog made everyone surprise from it beauty.

• bis4
    5/21/2014 - 11:41 a.m.

Owe my gosh that is so cute I absolutely think that that bulldog can be a beautiful bulldog because he has on a crown and a cape on. That is why he is a beautiful bulldog.

• bis1
    5/21/2014 - 12:23 p.m.

that dog is so cute.How does that dog become a king.Is that dog a king or a prince

• lfsmax-Cla
    5/21/2014 - 01:46 p.m.

That is so weird that dog can sliber that much. And I think a bulldog can't be prity because all they do is slibber. Butt bulldogs can be nice dogs I think.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    6/13/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

I felt very amazed because I never knew a bull dog would be so pretty! Ummm,well by the way I need rest my arms.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    7/14/2014 - 01:58 p.m.

REBUTTAL
    I think that you are very wrong because bulldogs can be beautiful because if they are well dressed and well taken care of. I think that any animal can be pretty and beautiful because God made them and what ever God has aide is good. So if you think that a bulldog can not be beautiful, then that is a real problem. Yes, some bulldogs can be ugly, but they are animals of God and all things of God is good. I hope that you know that Ashley that everything that God has made is good.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    7/29/2014 - 02:40 p.m.

REBUTTAL:
    I disagree with you because I think that bulldogs are beautiful. I think that it is beautifly because God made all living things. It might be true that some bulldogs can be ugly but they are still beautiful because God made each and every animal different. I also think that you should never write something like I want to rest my hands because that is something off topic from the article.