Calf has two old legs and two new legs Kitty Martin, below, snuggles Hero after he was fitted with new prosthetic legs
Calf has two old legs and two new legs

The 600-pound calf was hot and tired. It had traveled three hours inside a trailer behind a pickup truck.

The animal was content to lie on the grass behind a building. A team of technicians worked on its hind legs.

When the calf known as Hero heard its name called, the 15-month-old gingerly got up. Unsteadily, it waddled away. It headed toward a snack of green shrubbery.

Hero was fitted for a new pair of high-tech prosthetic devices attached to its back legs.

"I'm so proud," Hero's caretaker, Kitty Martin, exclaimed. "Look at you!"

Martin rescued the animal from Virginia. Frostbite had claimed its hooves.

Martin figures she has spent nearly $40,000 to save the calf. She hopes Hero will grow to 1,500 pounds. He can be a therapy animal for wounded veterans and children with special needs.

"He's got a very bright future right now," Martin said.

• jaycishoelover
    5/29/2014 - 12:58 p.m.

aw! he is cute , and that was a cute story ! i hope he is feeling better :-)

• ISABELLAV-ZDE
    6/02/2014 - 10:15 a.m.

This adorable calf is an amazing role model or figure to many people. For all the kids and adults that lose limbs, it is very hard for them to learn to walk again and feel comfortable with the new feature. Hopefully many people feel inspired by this animal to keep going and come back better with new things.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    6/09/2014 - 04:11 p.m.

I felt very sad for Hero because his back legs had frostbites.

• John0724-YYCA
    7/07/2014 - 06:51 p.m.

I feel really bad for the calf because it got frostbites on it's two back legs and damaged it's hooves. Well it is the good thing that the people created a mechanical leg and could walk normally again. I wonder how it feels like to walk again when you couldn't walk for a while? It probably should be happy.

• Jason0421-YYCA
    7/10/2014 - 02:21 p.m.

That is really sad and a very good thing that happened. I believe that the calf named Hero would have a very successful future because he has new legs instead of his old legs. I hope that Hero would be able to master his new legs so that he wouldn't be troubled when he is walking anywhere. I also hope the Hero would be very happy with his caretaker.

• Brandon1231-YYCA
    7/28/2014 - 01:11 p.m.

REBUTTAL
    I think that you shouldn't be a cow that is already healed. I think that are wrong about hero. Hero is a cow that has fought the frostbite and you have nothing else to say about the cow? You read the whole article and the one and only thing you talk about Hero is the frostbite? I think that is wrong. Your comment doesn't make any sense. You felt sad that Hero got frostbitten. So what. He is still living.

• JulianS-Saw
    9/05/2014 - 02:26 p.m.

It make me sad watch animals with out legs makes me sad I hope some men or girl help