Boy catches whale of a fish barehanded Jake Sawyer with a white amur, or grass carp, caught on a flooded street in northern Ohio (Michelle Sawyer/Facebook)
Boy catches whale of a fish barehanded

A northern Ohio teenager spotted a 3-foot carp swimming in floodwaters on his street. He scooped it into his arms as his mother caught the scene on video.

Jake Sawyer, 16, waded through more than ankle-deep water. He stalked the big fish in the dark and trapped it.

"I just slowly put my hand on it" he said. "And then once it got comfortable with me, I just kind of bear-hugged it and lifted it up."

Sawyer said heavy rains had caused flash-flooding as high as his mailbox. The believes the large grass carp slipped out of a nearby pond.

He said he wanted to ensure the fish didn't become trapped. He carried it back to the pond. He estimates it weighed 40 pounds.

The result, he said, is one fishing tale he'll never forget.

• terrione-Gen
    5/16/2014 - 12:20 p.m.

that's very amazing he caught that big olddd fish and look really dark out there I don't know how he did it but he must have animal instinct

• Preston222
    5/16/2014 - 02:46 p.m.

This is a cool story.I can't believe that this guy found a 3 pound carp and caught it.

• lfsshana-Cla
    5/19/2014 - 01:41 p.m.

That is amazing.I have caught a baby mino that way.

• sanwnathang
    5/20/2014 - 11:18 a.m.

A three foot long carp in a guys neighborhood street who knows what else lives in that pond 200 pound snapping turtle and a big ell and a mutant rabbit and this guys pond probably has a whole lot of crazy fish to why not.

• bis18
    5/21/2014 - 11:38 a.m.

cool catch dude! it is three feet awesome! and you are only 16! I wish I caught that carp! the biggest fish in ever caught was three feet

• BryanG1-Gar
    5/21/2014 - 01:02 p.m.

Imposable! I can't believe that happened! I wonder how that happened!

• lfsemily-Cla
    5/21/2014 - 02:02 p.m.

WOW! That`s a big fish! I can`t believe it`s 3feet long. I wounder if it really wieghed 40 pounds. I wouldn`t have put it back. I would have used it for meat.

• bis15
    5/22/2014 - 11:26 a.m.

that's amazing what you can do you should teach me how to do that. are you happy that you got that.

• jmpink
    5/22/2014 - 01:03 p.m.

thats cool i would love to go and get a fish and catch it ive never been fishing like and that could feed my family for mounths

• AmaliaL-5
    5/23/2014 - 07:28 p.m.

A teenager in Ohio, Jake Sawyer, was wading through ankle deep water in the dark and he caught a three foot carp. He caught it with his bare hands, describing the event as a "bear hug". The forty-pound fish caught by the sixteen year old was released back into a pond. I think it's crazy that he caught something so large in such little water.