Barking couldn't save deaf boy, so dog licked him Ace, a pit bull, outside Lindsay and James Bernard'a home, which caught fire (AP photos)
Barking couldn't save deaf boy, so dog licked him

A pit bull named Ace is being hailed as a hero. The dog licked the face of a deaf boy to alert him that the house was on fire.

Nick Lamb is 13 and was home alone. He was sleeping without his hearing aids.

"My dog licked my face and woke me up," Lamb said. "I thought he wanted to be fed or go outside."

Ace didn't stop licking Nick until the teen got up. That's when he realized the smoke.

"I couldn't hear anything because I had my cochlear implants off. ... My dog Ace smelled it," Lamb said.

As Nick and Ace got out of the house, the boy retrieved his ear implants.

Nick was born deaf. He said this was the first summer he was old enough to stay home alone. He had returned from summer camp just three days earlier.

• gessamantha
    9/05/2014 - 07:46 p.m.

That was so sweet about that dog. I mean really,so sweet.

• cheyennemST
    9/22/2014 - 09:56 a.m.

I want t to know what happened to the lamp was it on long or did the dog tip it over. My next thing is I know he can't hear but tell me who did he get the from . My last thing is who did you come up with the dog and the boy.

• gabby10-Bla
    1/29/2015 - 01:24 p.m.

If I were deaf and I had a dog and it saved my life, I would spoil him so much,I would give him what ever he wants when ever he wants, like if he wanted to have more food or if he was begging for something like water,to play,more food,to be pat, I would be honored to have that dog.

gymnast

• caragh5-Bla
    1/29/2015 - 01:35 p.m.

Ace is such a good dog! if ace saved my life i wold bring ace wherever i went. Also i would spoil ace like crazy! i would by him a toy everyday. and i wold give him a treat any time he wanted one. That story was a really good story! And it was sad too!

• Brayden-Hor
    4/15/2015 - 02:13 p.m.

That dog is lucky and super smart. How did he do it? He is inceredible dog

• John0724-YYCA
    5/11/2015 - 08:53 p.m.

The dog is a true hero for saving the deaf boy and didn't give up because if I was that dog and the boy didn't get up then I would just forget about the boy and then just run out the door for my own life but the pit Ace didn't do that. What a brave dog trying to save the person instead himself because He could have just easily got out of the house with no work but he stayed until the boy woke up.

• annabel1226-yyca
    5/12/2015 - 10:22 p.m.

It is amazing that dogs are useful to people. This was really smart to lick it's owner's face to wake him up. If the dog didn't wake the boy up the boy might have been dead. If there was a cat in their house the cat might left the boy and run off. That is why I love dogs more than cats.