1797 navy ship tours Boston harbor again People walk down the gang plank of the USS Constitution (AP photos)
1797 navy ship tours Boston harbor again

Old Ironsides is about to get a makeover. It will take about three years to repair the old wooden ship.

The ship's formal name is the USS Constitution. It was built in Boston. It was launched in October 1797. The ship was commissioned by the U.S. Navy following the Revolutionary War. Its mission was to protect American ships off the northern coast of Africa.

It earned the nickname Old Ironsides after winning battles during the War of 1812. That war was against Great Britain. Over the years, the ship has held a variety of roles. It still has an active-duty Navy crew. And the ship is a major tourist destination in Boston. More than 500,000 visitors come aboard each year.

The Constitution is the oldest commissioned warship still afloat. During its restoration, its upper masts will be removed. The ship's long guns will be taken off. The three-mast ship will still be open for public tours and officially enters dry dock in March 2015. In dry dock, the ship will be out of the water. That allows workers to make repairs to the hull.

By spring or summer 2018, Old Ironsides should return to its familiar spot on Pier 1 at the Navy Yard.

• SeanK-3
    10/24/2014 - 12:24 p.m.

People get a tour of the boat that John Paul Jones rid. The ship was commissioned by the U.S. Navy following the Revolutionary War. about 500,000 people come on board. I think this is a cool thing to do in Boston and I might do it in 2018.

• LeslieR-Bla
    10/27/2014 - 03:58 p.m.

I read the article "1797 navy ship tours Boston harbor again." It was exciting to read that people would walk down the gangplank because I have not see people walk down the gang. Before reading this article, I did not know that about more than 500,000 visitors come and aboard each year.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    10/27/2014 - 08:32 p.m.

It is very weird to have a ship arrive in 2018. I would have a ship arrive in a month if I were mean. But I'm nice so, I would let the ship stay somewhere relax. I think it would be very surprising to have a ship come back at 2018. I don't agree that a ship can arrive in 2018 because people might be dying out the sea. I learned that someone is planning the ship to come back at pier 1 in 2018. I am amazed because someone planned a ship in the article to come back at pier 1 at 2018.

• ChristinaL-Bla
    10/28/2014 - 05:15 p.m.

I read the article "1797 navy ship tours Boston harbor again". It was surprising to read that it took 3 years to repair because I did not expect it to take 3 years to rebuild a ship. Before reading this article, I did not know that there were boats in the Revolutionary War. Wow, I was surprised that they would rebuild such an old ship.

• TravisS-Bla
    10/28/2014 - 08:17 p.m.

I read the article "1797 navy ship tours Boston again". It was very boring to read because the article did not have much detail. It only explained how old and where the ship came from. Before reading this article, I did not know it won many of the battles in the War of 1812. How does the U.S. benefit by keeping such an old ship in its active fleet? They make the money earned from tourists visiting the ship.

• ArnulfoL-Bla
    10/29/2014 - 03:57 p.m.

I read the article "1797navy ship tours Boston harbor again". It was fun to read that 500,000 go on board because that is a lot of people. Before reading this article, I did not know that you can bring that many people.

• MelissaM-Cal
    10/29/2014 - 10:47 p.m.

I did not know that you can go inside a ship that was launched in 1797. But why are they dry docking it in March of next year. I can think that they would be taking off the long guns too and that is cool that they are all so giving a public tours too.

• LaVeda
    10/30/2014 - 01:10 p.m.

That is so cool i mean really neat i love the boat the design is so cool all the men that would have to build that boat must be happy with work we'll done

• BryceN-Bla
    10/30/2014 - 04:04 p.m.

I read the article "1797 tours Boston Harbor again ". It was interesting to read that it will take three years to repair a ship because I thought it would take a little more than a three years to repair a ship. Before reading this article, I did not know that they have nicknames for ships. I knew ships had names, but not nicknames. The Critical Thinking Question asked: How does the U.S. benefit by keeping such an old ship in its active fleet? It's good that they still have the USS Constitution going because it can give very good information about the past. How old is the USS Constitution ship?

• HunterW-Bla
    10/30/2014 - 09:01 p.m.

I read the article "1797 navy ship sails Boston harbor again". It was amazing because I would never think that a boat that old is still on the water. Before reading this article, I did not that this old of a boat still floats.