12-year-old girl sells steer for $100,000 Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn congratulates Shaelye Varneron on her grand champion steer (AP photo / ThinkStock)
12-year-old girl sells steer for $100,000

A 12-year-old girl needs a bigger piggy bank.

Shaelye Varner of Morris, Illinois, showed the grand champion steer at the Illinois State Fair in Springfield. Her steer then sold at auction for a whopping $100,000. That shattered last year's fair record of $62,000.

The auction is where the person who made the highest offer becomes the new owner of the animal. Large companies like AT&T, Monsanto and DeKalb Asgrow combined to bid for Varner's steer.

The steer's name is Ted.

Shaelye says she's been showing animals since she was 5 years old. She plans to save her money and use it for a future career in livestock.

According to The State Journal-Register, Shaelye wore a huge smile Tuesday evening. She said that even though she knew her steer was good, she was surprised it was a Grand Champion worth $100,000.

I havent won this big of a show before, she said.

• Dra
    9/08/2014 - 02:22 p.m.

Wow that's amazing that she won $100,000 . I wish I had that much money!

• Gicooljon
      9/18/2014 - 11:37 a.m.

I now right that would be amazing totally cool right.

• Ashley0207-yyca
    9/16/2014 - 09:21 p.m.

I did not know a person would sell a steer for $100,000. I think this article is amazing because someone bought a steer for $100,000. I disagree because a girl can't sell a steer in an auction for $100,000. This an amazing that happened to a 12 year old girl. I am amazed because a girl sold a steer for $100,000.

• Gicooljon
    9/18/2014 - 11:34 a.m.

I can't believe that the girl sella a steer I think see wound not seller if she loves her so much. But you would won't 100,000 Dolores .

• Gicooljon
    9/18/2014 - 11:34 a.m.

• cheesedoodle9
    10/10/2014 - 12:59 p.m.

I think that's a lot of money for a 12 year old. i wonder what the mans going to do with the cow and if shes going to safe all of it or some of it.

• annabel1226-yyca
    6/08/2015 - 06:58 p.m.

It is really amazing to sell your steer for 100,000 dollars. But it will be sad to sell your animal just for a money. You should give the new owner the steer and see if he or she takes care of it well. Then that will be a great deal. If I have a 100,000 dollars than I will go to a lot of place like London, Hawaii, Paris, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon.